Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Off the Wall: The Psychedelic Record Cover Paintings of Abdul Mati Klarwein (Collect 'em all!)



Every now and again, I'll see a cool a record cover display up on a wall in the living space of record collector friends or acquaintances, and it always makes me say to myself: Self, you should really do something like that! And if I were ever to create such an arrangement, Abdul Mati Klarwein would be my go to record cover artist. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, this Israeli-born painter was the #1 go to guy for those musicians who wanted to have provocative, psychedelic visions on their albums. And Klarwein's senses-shattering creations grace the fronts & backs of many recordings produced during this era, one of the best known being Miles Davis' iconic Bitches Brew. The record covers featured in this post represent those Klarwein gems that would make up my own record cover wall display. These works are so ridiculously stunning, I'm surprised I haven't seen it done already.


 Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (1970)

 Buddy Miles - A Message to the People (1970)

Santana - Abraxas (1970) 

 Reuben Wilson - Blue Mode (1969)

 Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance (1970)

Miles Davis Live/Evil (1971) 

Last Poets - This is Madness (1971) 

Osibisa - Heads (1972)

No comments:

Post a Comment